Gregory Bull/Associated Press
Major League Baseball has opened an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct against Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano.
Per Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, an MLB spokesman said its review of Sano began “immediately upon learning of the allegations.”
Twins general manager Thad Levine told SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio on Thursday the team is hoping for a timely resolution to the investigation.
“Right now Major League Baseball is conducting their investigation,” Levine said, via Berardino. “We’ve been asked to kind of stand down and allow that process to unfold. We’re hopeful we’ll have information back in a timely fashion.”
Betsy Bissen, a photographer for TwinsDaily.com who has worked at Twins home games, last month said Sano forcibly grabbed her wrist following an autograph signing and tried to kiss her more than once as she “said no and kept pulling back.”
Sano issued a statement of denial.
“I unequivocally deny the allegation made against me today — it never happened,” Sano’s statement said. “I have the utmost respect for women, especially those working in professional sports, and I deeply sympathize with anyone who has experienced sexual harassment. There is no place for it in our society.”
Under MLB’s domestic violence policy, commissioner Rob Manfred has full authority to determine an appropriate punishment “with no minimum or maximum penalty” after his office’s investigation has been completed.